[mercury-users] ICFP'00 Contest Results

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Oct 4 14:01:45 AEDT 2000

On 04-Oct-2000, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> Right.  As it said in the README file:
>
>         We implemented a bounding box space-partitioning algorithm,
> 	and it was about 50% faster.  Unfortunately it produced three
> 	pixels of acne in the shadows for a couple of the Tier-one
> 	examples, so we decided to submit our original version,
> 	which did not have such artifacts.
>
> However, since the winning entry seems to have had some wierd
> distortion effects, at least for the `golf' example, and yet won
> anyway, I'm not sure if that was a good idea.  (Or are those
> distortion effects just artifacts of the conversion to .jpg?)

And apparently the Camls R Us entry had a problem where it failed
to terminate when the surface function for an object was non-terminating
(but the object was obscured from view, so it was not necessary to
evaluate the function).

So perhaps we were a bit too "correct" and could have worked a bit
harder on being "fast" instead.

Anyway, we've been asked for a summary of our submission (on
comp.lang.functional) so I'm setting up a web page for this purpose now.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't everyone's cup of fur.