[mercury-users] mercury's messiness

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Nov 22 14:26:28 AEDT 2000

Try

mkdir Mercury
mmake genetic_test.depend
mmake genetic_test

or

mmake --use-subdirs genetic_test.depend
mmake --use-subdirs genetic_test

or

mmc --use-subdirs genetic_test.m

The first one is easiest.  Note that the second one will create a
`Mercury' subdirectory, so after the first time you no longer need to
give the `--use-subdirs' option to mmake.

If you are using mmc, it is a bit dumber, and you have to tell it yourself
every time -- it does not detect the `Mercury' subdirectory.

The other problem with the commands you are giving is that mmake is
*target* driven (you tell it what to make, and it makes it).  Whereas
commands like `mmc' are source file driven -- you tell it what the input
source code is, and it turns it into output code.

Generally mmake needs to first make a .depend file so that it knows
which other modules it might need to compile to make your target.
That's why we had to do `mmake genetic_test.depend' first.