[mercury-users] Idea for a currying library

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Mon Jan 17 22:19:36 AEDT 2000

> Peter Schachte's preferred notation shares one advantage with lambda
> notation which the callperm stuff lacks:  the form that is abstracted
> can be compound.  On the other hand, anything more than a single goal
> is likely to merit a comment or two, so putting it on more than one
> line is going to pay off in readability anyway and we might as well
> use lambda-notation.

I'm inclined to agree, although I find the need to supply mode and
determinism declarations for lambdas in Mercury makes code look
clumsy and cumbersome.  I would like some sort of facility for
turning on mode inference on a selective basis, e.g.

:- pragma infer_modes(foo/3).

foo(X, Y, Z) :- <<something containing an unmoded lambda>>.

I don't mind supplying top-level modes for foo/3, but it does grate
having to write them for lambdas where it should be bleeding obvious
what is meant in most cases.

Ralph