[mercury-users] Collections of closures [polymorphic insts]

David Overton dmo at hydra.cs.mu.oz.au
Thu Jan 13 00:37:38 AEDT 2000

On Tue, 11 Jan, 2000 at 09:13:12PM EST, Ralph Becket wrote:

> How much effort would be required to extend the system as discussed
> above without including aliasing?

It shouldn't be too much effort.

> It would be a significant improvement,
> IMHO.  I understand that the compiler has to grok aliasing to handle
> nested unique objects, but is that special case easier to handle than
> general aliasing?  If so, could that be milestone no. 2?

We already have an alias tracking system that can handle most of what is
required for nested unique objects.  The main problem with the current
implementation is that it slows down mode checking unacceptably.

We are working on a new approach at the moment that will hopefully be
faster.

David
--
David Overton       Department of Computer Science & Software Engineering
PhD Student         The University of Melbourne, Australia