[mercury-users] Custom declarations and preprocessors.

Richard Tucker rit at cam.sri.com
Mon Apr 17 18:52:42 AEST 2000

At 16:36 2000-04-17 +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:

>The change I'm considering is allowing the compiler to ignore your
>declarations (with a compiler option) and to provide some sample code
>for writing Mercury source processors.

If you do this, then have you considered restricting the namespace to
which it applies? Otherwise, if you ever want to add a new declaration
to the language, you can't be sure that someone isn't already using it.
(Alternatively, you could promise that any future declarations added
to the language will be in a restricted namespace.) I guess the same
issues apply to predicate names, but there it doesn't matter so much
because of the module system (as long as you don't add predicates to
modules once they are stable). Module names, on the other hand, would
appear to suffer from this problem already.

Richard/