[mercury-users] Bug in NT Version?

Warwick Harvey wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au
Thu Sep 23 12:21:56 AEST 1999

Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Two things.  [Context: this is using rotd-1999-08-13 compiled using the
> Cygnus tools under NT.]

[First thing deleted, since there are others much more qualified to answer
it than I.]

> 2. When I try to get rid of GC altogether, by specifying either
> `--gc none' or `--grade asm_fast' in EXTRA_GRADEFLAGS, I get the
> following:
>
> $ mmake compress
> mmc --make-interface  --use-subdirs -O 6   compression.m
> rm -f Mercury/cs/compress.c
> mmc --compile-to-c --grade asm_fast.gc --grade asm_fast    --use-subdirs -O
> 6
> compress.m > compress.err 2>&1
> mgnuc --grade asm_fast.gc --grade asm_fast          -I. -c
> Mercury/cs/compress.c
>  -o Mercury/os/compress.o
> rm -f Mercury/cs/compression.c
> mmc --compile-to-c --grade asm_fast.gc --grade asm_fast    --use-subdirs -O
> 6
> compression.m > compression.err 2>&1
> mgnuc --grade asm_fast.gc --grade asm_fast          -I. -c
> Mercury/cs/compressio
> n.c -o Mercury/os/compression.o
> ml --grade asm_fast.gc --grade asm_fast        -o compress
> Mercury/os/compress_i
> nit.o \
>         Mercury/os/compress.o Mercury/os/compression.o
> Mercury/os/compress_init.o(.text+0xe):compress_init.: undefined reference to
> `GC
> _add_roots'
> Mercury/os/compress_init.o(.text+0x2d):compress_init.: undefined reference
> to `G
> C_stackbottom'
> Mercury/os/compress_init.o(.text+0x47):compress_init.: undefined reference
> to `a
> ddress_of_init_gc'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [compress] Error 1

This looks like compress_init.c was last compiled with garbage collection
turned on (I cannot see it mentioned in the above log).  Did you do a "mmake
clean" when you changed the grade flags?  If you do not do a "mmake clean",
you risk leaving some files compiled in the old grade.

Along similar lines, if you ever turn on/off intermodule optimisation
options, you need to do a "mmake depend".

Hope that helps.

Warwick