[mercury-users] io.m, directory listing

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at hermes.otago.ac.nz
Wed Oct 13 13:25:35 AEST 1999

	> Hmm ok fair enuf. But then why exclude the POSIX stuff in <sys/stat.h>
	> and <unistd.h>?

	Because it would be difficult to port that stuff to non-POSIX platforms
	(e.g. Mac, or Windows without Cygwin).

For what it's worth, the Metrowerks C compiler for Macintosh
(I'm looking at "Metrowerks Standard Library Version 2.2 1997 October 17")
has a stat.h defining stat() and fstat() and the usual types and constants;
it also has a unistd.h which fakes getpid() and its friends, but has a useful
subset of stuff.  If I recall correctly, Think C has stat() too.
"Visual C++ Developer's Guide" (1993 edition) lists _stat and _read
(first quick check) so a lot of that stuff *is* available in a Windows
without Cygwin system.

A quick way to get a lot of this stuff going is to grab it out of Tcl.