[mercury-users] Bug(?) in rotd-1999-10-10

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Oct 11 16:03:34 AEST 1999

On 11-Oct-1999, Robert Ernst Johann JESCHOFNIK <rejj at cat.cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> Another issue with that (infamous) graphics project of mine.. I just
> noticed that when using the rotd-1999-10-10 compiler, mgnuc gives warnings
> about variables that may be used uninitialised, but with 0.8 it gives no
> such warning.

These annoying warnings from the C compiler result from the code
that the compiler generates for semidet `pragma c_code'.
You can safely ignore them.

This minor annoyance has been around for a while.  I think the reason
that they arise with this example for the release-of-the-day compiler
but not for 0.8 is just that the rotd compiler does a better job of
intermodule optimization, inlining the `pragma c_code' from the Mercury
standard library into the C code that it generates for your module.