[mercury-users] name clashes in typeclasses

Juergen Stuber juergen at mpi-sb.mpg.de
Thu Oct 7 04:01:14 AEST 1999

Michael Day <mikeday at corplink.com.au> writes:

> Well yes that is what I was referring to with modules, it just feels a
> little odd to make a module called stack and then within that a type class
> called stack also.

I think that is very natural.  I'm playing a little with algebra
currently, and there I put each typeclass into its own module,
together with the predicates that work on types in that typeclass.
Each type goes into its own module, with instance declarations for
all the typeclasses it is an instances of.  That seems to work
quite well.

Of course this is not a strict rule.  If I had very closely
related types or typeclasses it could make sense to put them
together in a module.

> Will all name qualification be done using modules for
> the forseeable future of Mercury? Being unable to overload by type is
> understandable, but by type class hurts a little...

Why don't you just use modules?
Maybe you are still under the influence of some other language?

Cheers

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen at mpi-sb.mpg.de>