[mercury-users] `.m' extension (was: scope resolution operator)

Michael Day mikeday at corplink.com.au
Tue Oct 5 07:38:07 AEST 1999

> No, that's the first we (or at least I) have heard of it.
> Which GNU tools exactly?

gcc and automake both recognize *.m as being Objective-C files, for some
bizarre reason. gcc isn't a problem, but it makes it quite difficult to
use automake, as the language binding is hard coded into the script
itself:

&register_language ('objc', 'OBJCLINK', 0,
                    'm');

A quick hack to use automake is to name Mercury files *.mr, and then
<gulp> rename them to *.m just before compilation. There's probably a way
to convince automake that the files are really Mercury rather than
Objective-C, but I am yet to find it.

Michael