[mercury-users] Informal speed trial result

Randall Helzerman rahelzer at ichips.intel.com
Sun Oct 3 14:22:19 AEST 1999

> 		(1)		(2)		(1)/(2)%
> real		1.031s	0.721s	143%
> user		0.841s	0.700s	120%
> sys		0.100s	0.020s	500%
>
> user+sys	0.941s	0.720s	131%
>
> Okay, this is really very unscientific, but the Mercury code has incurred
> a mere 30-40% penalty for the task in hand.

          On the "We're not worthy" scale, this rates as 3 bows:

     |                 |                  |
     o        o___     o         o___     o         o___
     |       /         |        /         |        /
    __\    __\        __\     __\        __\     __\

Hat's off to all involved, from the compiler writers to the benchmark
writer.  You guys just rock, individually, collectively, and globaly.

> p.s. The Mercury consists of 152 lines of declarations + 356 lines of code;
> the C for 129.compress consists of 131 lines of preprocessor + 604 lines of
> code (although there is some debugging code in there too).

In the vast majority of cases, I would be more than happy to trade off
30-40% slower execution for 1/2 the code size.

However, this really isn't a fair comparison.  Who knows how many man-hours
went into sizzling the C version.  Or the C compiler/optimizer/etc
etc etc.  Throw the same effort behind Mercury and you'd really see some
barn-burning action.

-Randy