[mercury-users] constructor class syntax

Samuel Sean Watkins 108703 at bud.cc.swin.edu.au
Fri Nov 5 00:04:19 AEDT 1999

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Ralph Becket wrote:

> > describing additional syntax?  Perl's approach to syntax is a
> > pretty interesting one.
>
> NO!  BAD DOG!  NO BISCUIT!
>
> If Mercury ever gets to have anything more in common with Perl than the
> fact that they're both programming languages is the day I remove it from
> my disc.

Okay, okay, what I *meant* was, contextual grammar is a nice idea, as
opposed to context-free grammar.  Perl's treatment of plurals is
interesting (a list without walls, if you like).  Larry Wall is a
linguist, and some of the features of Perl reflect his linguistic insight.
By the way, Perl has records indexed by name (hashes).  Dare I suggest
Mercury should adopt '$record{field}' ?

 ;)