[mercury-users] Records

Peter Schachte schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Nov 4 09:29:54 AEDT 1999

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 12:25:26PM +0100, Juergen Stuber wrote:
> Robert Ernst Johann JESCHOFNIK <rejj at cat.cs.mu.OZ.AU> writes:
> > 	Field1 = X ^ field1,
> >
> > doesn't look all that nice, and doesn't look like `field1' is a member of
> > `X',
>
> I second that.  How about @?
>
>     X @ field1
>
> "X at field one" sounds nice and intuitive
> (ok, maybe the order isn't right).

Agreed, this is better than `^'.

> Even better would be a dot.  I know that it is planned to make
> `.' the module qualifier eventually, but I think it would be
> a better idea to junk that proposal, keep `:' as a module qualifier,
> use `::' for types, modes etc. and depreciate `__':

Don't forget that infix dot has the problem that you *mustn't* put
whitespace between the dot and whatever comes next, or it'll be
tokenized as the end of the clause.  This could be very surprising to
those used to putting whitespace around their dots.

Of course, the same is true of dot as a module separator.

Aside from that, I agree, dot would make a better field separator than
module separator.  But `@' isn't too bad.

--
Peter Schachte                     Remember, "Euphemisms are for the
mailto:schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        differently brained."