Mercury needs a Tutorial

Leon Smith lps at po.cwru.edu
Thu Feb 11 18:22:02 AEDT 1999

I happen to be looking for a tutorial on Mercury.  Browsing the mailing
list archives, I found the messages attached at the end of this email.

I first ran across Mercury a year or two ago. I was rather interested in
learning it, especially as a venue to learning about logic programming in
general.  I am experienced with imperative and functional programming.
However, I am finding it very difficult to learn Mercury without already
being knowledgable on logic programming.

I don't really have the time or energy to learn Prolog so I can then learn
Mercury.  Besides, I would like to learn the benefits of Mercury from the
start, instead of merely tacking them on afterwards.  I have found it
extremely helpful in the past.  For example, I learned ML and Haskell
before I learned Lisp.  I found that Haskell gave me a solid understanding
of ideas that were invaluable in learning Lisp.

A tutorial would allow interested people to become users.  I believe that
this would then substantially increase interest in Mercury.  (For example,
I tend to evangelize for languages I like, such as Haskell and Modula-3.)

I'd like to point out that people trying to learn Mercury are pressed for
time as well.  I'm not saying get the tutorial done at the cost of a
Master's Thesis, but it needs to be a fairly high priority.  What is the
point of a great logic programming language that most of the world can't
access?

Could some knowledgeable undergrad write the tutorial?

best,
leon