[mercury-users] Is there a sockets library ?

Mark Ng markn at students.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Feb 1 14:35:07 AEDT 1999

> > Does anyone know if there is a sockets library for Mercury around ?
>
> Mission Critical (MC, Belgium) has built one in the context of our ARGo
> project. I'll see with Paul Massey (the computer scientist that built it)
> and Dominique de Waleffe (in charge of all the projects at MC) how you can
> get it (I hope you don't ask it because one of your professor has asked to
> build one as a test :-)

heheh.. we're supposely (at least I am) in summer holiday mode.

It would be great if the sockets library could be released under the GPL
or something similar. (I do understand that your work is
commercial orientated and this may be too much to ask for )

> A short note on ARGo.
>
> ARGo is an ESPRIT project (funded equally by the European Commission and
> the commercial organizations that are working on it) whose aim is to boost
> Mercury.

Free Mercury libraries, (like sockets) would surely help towards that goal. :)

> We think that Mercury is one of the best ideas that came out of the logic
> programming community over the past few years and we think that the
> implementation of Mercury has reached a stage at which its
> industrialization can be seriously considered.

Agreed.  It is execellent !

thanks,
mark