[mercury-users] Gcc compiler problem

Peter Ludemann ludemann at inxight.com
Thu Apr 15 04:16:58 AEST 1999

Lengyel Sandor <hunnia at elender.hu> wrote Wed, 14 Apr 1999 18:01:20 +0200

> Probably due to a hardware problem, sometimes when I want to make a
> mercury compiler from source, I get a
>
>  Fatal internal compiler error with signal 11
>
> If this happen during the make cycle, no problem, I just restart the
> make.

Which compiler are you using?  I recommend getting the very latest
egcs from http://egcs.cygnus.com:
       gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release)
Earlier versions would get "fatal internal compiler error"s quite
often, because they couldn't properly handle some language constructs.

Also, make sure that you're running the compiler on the same system as
it was built.  For example, I can have problems if I build the
compiler on Solaris 7 but use it on Solaris 2.5.1 (I need to build the
compiler separately for each platform).  And, of course, make sure
that you have enough swap space and temporary file space (if you don't
have much room in /tmp, try running the compiler with the "-pipe" option).

- peter