[mercury-users] Native garbage collector for Mercury

Thomas Charles CONWAY conway at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Sep 17 10:42:57 AEST 1998

Jonathan Martin, you write:
> This is not a slight against Mercury - the strong types and modes do
> come in very handy for proving termination - I just think that
> automatic termination analysis has a long way to go before it can be
> used for "real" programs in the way you suggest.

Of the predicates for which the compiler can't prove termination,
a large proportion have their termination controlled by integer
loops. It probably won't take much to extend the analysis to
cope with these sorts of situations. Higher order is another case
for which the current implementation just throws up its hands,
but which could be handled better without requiring sophisticated
changes to the current analysis.

Thomas
--
Thomas Conway <conway at cs.mu.oz.au>