[mercury-users] There's nowt so boring as writing thesis

Ralph Becket rwab1 at cam.sri.com
Fri Sep 11 20:44:05 AEST 1998

Andrew Bromage wrote on 11 Sep:

> It's reversed in direction compared to the way that you tend to design
> most programs, yes.  I suspect more people might use functional
> languages if you put functions together in Unix pipe order rather than
> function application order; which is precisely what monad syntax gives
> you, really.

:- op(???, yfx, | ).			% Speculative.

:- func A | (func(A) = B) = B.

A | F = F(A).

It strikes me that the current Mercury libraries don't provide that
great a range of higher order utilities.  For example, mapping and
filtering binary trees would be a good one.  I volunteer to code
something up after this month if there's any call for it.

Reading the FP literature, it's just amazing how beautiful and concise
HO code can be.  I love it.

Ralph

--
Ralph Becket  |  rwab1 at cam.sri.com  |  http://www.cam.sri.com/people/becket.html