problems on Windows (was: 'Char' type problem)

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Mar 18 22:55:09 AEDT 1998

On 18-Mar-1998, Peter Phelan <peter.phelan at anite-systems.lu> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for assistance so far, BUT ...
[snip]
> ... problems persist.  First a
> suggestion that the mode could be tighter (declared 'semidet;' inferred
> det').

That's just a warning.  It's OK to ignore it, but it's probably best
not to ignore it unless you understand why it is occurring.  If you
don't understand why it is occurring, then perhaps you should show us
your source code, so that we could then explain it to you.

> More importantly, afterwards compilation stops with:
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 1.
>
> Either my program is wrong (entirely likely), or there's something wrong in
> the installation (also entirely likely).

Yes, I think both of these are probably true.

It appears that you are using Mercury on Windows.
The current port of Mercury to Windows uses gnu-win32,
which is unfortunately still beta-release software;
there are still some problems with it.
One of the problems with gnu-win32 is that if you get
any link error, then you will get a bogus message of the form
"gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 1.".
(What actually happens is that ld exits with status 1,
indicating that there was a link error,
but gcc gets confused and thinks that ld got fatal signal 1,
and diagnoses the cause as an internal compiler error.)

Did you get any error messages from the linker before
that one?  If so, then you should fix those first;
once you've fixed them, the "internal compiler error"
will probably go away.

> I was also unable to get Bart Demoen's program to work; although I was able
> to compile & link it.  Calling the .exe just yields 'no.'

Um, maybe that's the correct output?
Perhaps you could show us the source code?

Cheers,
	Fergus.