[mercury-users] Re: Sockets

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon Jul 20 09:55:50 AEST 1998

	I was in the ISO committee and also attended most of BSI's meetings on
	the Prolog standard. I cannot remember having seen Richard's
	proposal. I have no idea who hid it from the committees. Too much
	politics in these committees I guess.

I did send quite a lot of stuff over, and at one time was told (over the
phone) that the committee simply didn't have time to look at it all.
That's probably what happened.

So much has happened in the logic programming world in the last few years
that the Prolog standard is now effectively obsolete, and I don't think
there will be any point in revising it when the normal review time comes
around.  By the time you add tabling, coroutining, constraints, some kind
of concurrency, perhaps, deductive data base facilities, types, modes,
about all that's left of the relationship to Prolog is pure Horn clause
syntax, and syntax never was a problem for Prolog porting.  Viva Mercury!