[mercury-users] Pred defns

Peter Schachte pets at students.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Apr 3 12:57:21 AEST 1998

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Lee Naish wrote:

> Perhaps Peter would prefer it if postfix operator were used as I
> suggested (to emphasise the accumulator id rather than the syntactic
> gloop).  There is an added advantage with ':=' - the accumulator id is
> on the left of the assignment operator, like most languages, eg:
>
> 	map__set(map#, Key1, Value1, map#:=),

But since map# and := sensible separate things, it would be tempting to
leave a space between the # and the :=, leading to nothing good.  Worse,
when you do an assignment, you'd /need/ to leave a space between the # and
the := or nothing good would come of it.  I find this more worrying.

-Peter Schachte               | IBM is not a necessary evil. IBM is not
mailto:pets at cs.mu.OZ.AU       | necessary.
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pets/ |     -- Ted Nelson
PGP key available on request  |