[mercury-users] Re: Mercury for Mac ?

Chris Higgins c.higgins at ndirect.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 00:15:00 AEDT 1997

Fergus wrote:
> If you can get a vaguely Unix-like environment (i.e. gcc, make, sh, and a
> few others) under MacOS, then it would not be too hard.
> Probably it would be best to use "MachTen CodeBuilder".
> This is a commercial (but reasonably cheap -- $99) Unix-like environment
> that runs under MacOS.

I'd ported 0.6 recently and decided to go the CodeBuilder route in future.
Bare bones is pretty bare.  An alternative to CodeBuilder would be MPW,
although its probably not cheaper, its gcc is old (I think), and it doesn't
support system/1.

(In another message) Fergus wrote:
> The pathname-dependent code is mostly in the shell scripts and the
> compiler's Mmake files; as for `/' vs `:' vs `\', in the Mercury code
> I think only one predicate in the library (dir__directory_separator/1)
> should need changing.

dir__this_directory/1 as well as I recall.

Of course, it would be nice to have mmc in native mac development envs,
such as CodeWarrior. Apart from system, the main problem I found was
disappointingly mundane:  the compiler simply writes error messages to
stderr, and one error message can be written from several different parts
of the code. CodeWarrior wants you to fill in a structure and hand it back
to the env to deal with.

chris