[mercury-users] The Mercury random module

L. Peter Deutsch ghost at aladdin.com
Sat Jul 5 04:44:00 AEST 1997

> It is SO annoying to have to work around unspecified rounding of integers
> (when they may be negative) in languages like C.  This is the best news I've
> heard all month (or week even! :-).

FYI, as far as I know, this problem was first understood and addressed (in
exactly this manner -- by providing the same two different integer quotient
and remainder operations) in the Smalltalk-80 system somewhere around 15
years ago.  Plus ca change....  (And someone will no doubt speak up to let
us know that it had been solved before that, and we Smalltalkers too
reinvented the wheel.)

--

L. Peter Deutsch         |       Aladdin Enterprises :::: ghost at aladdin.com
203 Santa Margarita Ave. | tel. +1-415-322-0103 (AM only); fax +1-415-322-1734