[m-dev.] call for volunteers: get_environment_var_map

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Wed Aug 18 23:00:20 AEST 2021

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 22:53:29 +1000 (AEST), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
> Sure, I'll add them.

Thank you.

> Rather than putting this facility in the compiler, we should consider
> adding it alongside the other predicates that deal with the environment
> in the io module, e.g. as io.get_environment/3.

That is a good idea.

At the moment, io.m is north of 13k lines of code. I think we should
consider

- adding this get_environment predicate to a new library module, named
   probably env.m or environment.m,

- moving the existing io.get_environment_var predicate to the
  new module, leaving a forwarding predicate behind, and

- adding an "obsolete in favour of" pragma for that forwarding predicate.

Zoltan.