[m-dev.] call for volunteers: get_environment_var_map

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Wed Aug 18 21:35:39 AEST 2021

At the moment, mmc --make passes around I/O states
so it can look up the values of environment variables
that may contain options. I would like to limit the use
of I/O states as much as possible, so I would like to read in
the values of all the environment vars once at the start,
so that all later lookups could be done without access
to an I/O state.

The attached diff, of which I committed only the options_file.m
part, implements the reading-in process for C, but the overall
approach is viable only if there are implementations for C# and
Java as well. I added a draft of the Java version based on an
Oracle documentation page
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/environment/env.html,
but haven't tested it, and I don't know enough about C# to do
that version.

Would anyone like to put their hand up to do the C# and Java
versions?

Zoltan.