[m-dev.] mini types

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Sun May 31 20:12:24 AEST 2020

Hi Zoltan,

> I can see two broad approaches that will let the compiler recognize t3
> as a mini type when building the .int3 file.

Quick question: how much of this proposal is dependent on the current
way in which the compiler resolves imports and handles separate
compilation through the generation of various interface files and how
much is inherent to the language itself?

Because the obvious counter proposal would be for the compiler to do the
right thing without needing the programmer to spell it out, so it would
be good to know if that's ruled out by factors that would be impossible
to change or factors that would be merely impractical to change :)

> - a pragma such as ":- pragma type_size(enum, 1)."
>
> - a compiler option such as --type-size enum=1
>
> - a compiler option such as --type-sizes <type_size_file>, where the
>    type_size_file contains lines such as "enum 1".

Personally I prefer the pragma, although I would prefer it even more if
the compiler could generate the pragma for me.

Michael

--
Prince: Print with CSS!
https://www.princexml.com