[m-dev.] Source dist. archives on github

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Thu Jan 31 13:12:16 AEDT 2019

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019, Zoltan Somogyi wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 00:20:10 +0000 (UTC), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
>> Peter and I have been discussing hosting the source distributions
>> on github in addition to distributing as .tar.gz files.  The basic
>> idea is that there will be a new repository on github and each all
>> the files for the source distribution will be committed to it.
>> Specifically, each source distribution will just be a tagged commit
>> off an empty initial commit.  This should allows us to provide
>> a much more extensive archive of source distributions.
>
> I am not sure I understand *exactly* what you are proposing. What does
> "off an empty initial commit" mean?
>
> However, I see that something along these lines could also allow us
> to do source distributions for *more* than one grade. If we provided
> a source distribution for all the usual grades, installation should take
> a lot less time.

Those sort of expanded source distributions would need to be targeted at
a specific architecture since in non pregen grades we enable
optimizations based on the word size etc.  (Supporting such a source
distribution for machines with 64-bit words would probably cover
most of our users these days.)

Julien.