[m-dev.] Source dist. archives on github

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Tue Jan 29 17:01:58 AEDT 2019

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 00:20:10 +0000 (UTC), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
> Peter and I have been discussing hosting the source distributions
> on github in addition to distributing as .tar.gz files.  The basic
> idea is that there will be a new repository on github and each all
> the files for the source distribution will be committed to it.
> Specifically, each source distribution will just be a tagged commit
> off an empty initial commit.  This should allows us to provide
> a much more extensive archive of source distributions.

I am not sure I understand *exactly* what you are proposing. What does
"off an empty initial commit" mean?

However, I see that something along these lines could also allow us
to do source distributions for *more* than one grade. If we provided
a source distribution for all the usual grades, installation should take
a lot less time.

> Separately, we will begin packaging up the source distribution as
> .tar.xz files as well.  (I've already updated the top-level Mmakefile to
> support this, I just need to re-arrange the webpage.)

That is a good idea.

Zoltan.