[m-dev.] [m-users.] Closed source Mercury projects on Windows

Mark Brown mark at mercurylang.org
Tue Jun 5 15:50:36 AEST 2018

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 3:08 PM, Peter Wang <novalazy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we should retain the "in clause 6 of" part as it effectively
> makes the license shorter and clearer: all of clause 6 is struck out
> beginning at the words "provided that". Otherwise, the special exception
> adds another clause to the license, that still must be understood in
> whole. (My opinion only, of course.)
>
> One thing that hasn't been pointed out: the special exception in the
> OCaml license does not apply to private modifications of the OCaml
> Core System. In contrast, the exception as worded below would apply to
> executables linked to private modifications of the Mercury Core Libraries,
> correct?

No, that's not the intent. It permits linking "with the Mercury Core
Libraries", meaning the ones in this distribution. If you modify the
libraries, which is different from linking, and which you can only do
under clause 2 as far as I can see, then you still have to comply with
all the conditions of that clause.

Mark