[m-dev.] Does mercury use region-based memory management?

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Wed May 31 05:40:00 AEST 2017

On Tue, 30 May 2017 15:09:07 -0400, nosefouratyou <nosefouratyou at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have recently become really interested in Prolog and Mercury and I found a
> lot of papers
> <https://scholar.google.com/scholar?cites=14354869648843930737&as_sdt=40000005&sciodt=0,22&hl=en>
> about region-based memory management for Mercury.
>
> Does one of Mercury's compile targets use that? I looked at the code a
> little and it seems like a garbage collector is still used in each.

The Mercury system does have support for region based memory management
(e.g. in runtime/mercury_region.[ch] and in compiler/rbmm*.m), but it is
not yet used in practice. This is because it is a prototype; it does not support
the whole language (though it supports most of it), and it hasn't been tuned
at all.

Zoltan.