[m-dev.] Tail recursion warning proposal

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Thu Jan 19 17:49:49 AEDT 2017

Hi Paul,

> I have proposed and partly implemented a pragma that can enable and disable
> the tail recursion warning.  In some ways it offers more control than
> Zoltan's recent scope goal, and in other ways it offers less.

I'm struggling to understand the ramifications of these new warning
controls and how they might play out in different situations.

Do these scenarios sound reasonable:

1. Tail recursion warnings are disabled, the default.

2. Tail recursion warnings are enabled for all predicates by
command-line option.

3. Tail recursion warnings are enabled for specific predicates by pragma.

4. Tail recursion warnings are enabled for all predicates by
command-line option, then disabled for specific predicates by pragma.

I'm not really sure of the more subtle scenarios like distinguishing
between self / mutual recursion, when would they be used?

Michael

--
Prince: Print with CSS!
http://www.princexml.com