[m-dev.] explicit stream arguments in library predicates

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Fri Oct 28 20:47:43 AEDT 2016

I am working on making the library and compiler use explicit I/O streams
where possible. In some cases, this requires adding new versions of existing
predicates (such as term_io.write_constant/3) that implicitly write to
the current output stream, with the new versions taking an extra
io.text_output_stream argument.

However, in a few cases, such as term_io.quote_string and pprint.write,
the new name/arity pair is already in use, with the higher arity version
having not an extra io.text_output_stream argument, but an extra
stream_writer stream argument.

Would people mind if I resolved these name collisions by renaming
the existing stream_writer versions of these predicates, adding
a suffix such as "_to_stream"? This would break backward compatibility,
but in a trivially-fixable way.

Zoltan.