[m-dev.] Article about memory fragmentation

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Mon Oct 10 10:40:13 AEDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 08, 2016 at 10:32:33PM +1100, Paul Bone wrote:

> I investigated an issue with memory fragmentation in BDW GC and Mercury and
> it proved to be quite interesting, so I wrote it up as a blog post.

I received some feedback via twitter regarding the Memory Pool System (MPS),
another GC for uncooperative environments.

https://twitter.com/glaebhoerl/status/784737682706538496

IIRC we've tried this in the past and found that it didn't perform as well
as BDWGC.  But I wasn't involved with Mercury at the time and things may
have changed.  @glaebhoerl provided this link
https://gitlab.com/embeddable-common-lisp/ecl/issues/126 suggesting that it
might be worth a look as ti may perform better.  I know very little about
MPS so there's not much I can say about this.  But I said I'd pass the
information on to the other Mercury devs.

Cheers.

--
Paul Bone
http://paul.bone.id.au