[m-dev.] Creation of temporary files broken on MinGW64

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Mon May 23 15:41:28 AEST 2016

Hi,

On Mon, 23 May 2016, Paul Bone wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:03:14PM +1000, Julien Fischer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The recent changes to the creation of temporary files do not appear
>> to work on Windows (MinGW64).  In particular, when the Mercury compiler
>> attempts to create a temporary file during linking we now get:
>>
>>      Could not create temporary file: error opening temporary file: Invalid
>> argument
>>
>> This with rotd-2016-05-17.
>>

> I've been working on this code some more, I'd like to wait until I post the
> changes I'm working on and then re-test.

I've fixed one bug in your previous change and also added a workaround
for the fact that mkstemp doesn't work properly with (some versions
of?) MinGW64.

I'm a bit concerned because I don't seem to be able to bootstrap recent
compilers on MinGW64 / MSYS2 at the moment -- the mmc up-to-date test in
configure keeps failing due to something going wrong when the Mercury
compiler attempts to link an executable.  (Specifically, creating
an archive to hold the object files to pass to ar when compiling
with --restricted-commmand line isn't working for some reason.)

I don't think this is related to your / Paul's change, since it occurs
with rotd-2016-03-04.  It works with rotd-2015-10-20 on the same
machine.

Has anyone else been encountering problems with MinGW64?

Julien.