[m-dev.] Proposed installation profiles

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Tue Oct 27 09:57:23 AEDT 2015

Hi Mark,

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Peter Wang <novalazy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I suggest allowing multiple additive profiles to be specified.
>> That will cut down the number of profile names, and not require the user
>> to know the order of the words.
>
> That would also leave the name profile-trail (alias trail-profile) to
> mean a profile where grades would include both profiling and trailing,
> which otherwise not be covered.

Another option would be that to install the profiling versions of the
trailing grades if both the "profile" and "trail" profiles are
specified.  (So specifying both profiles would be a bit more than
additive.)

> On the listed profiles:
> - If your project requires trailing, you probably really don't care
> about non-trailing grades,

I do! :-P

> except for the one used to build the compiler.

The one used to build the compiler is not necessarily the default
grade (e.g. with the source distribution the compiler is built in
hlc.gc.pregn, but the default grade is hlc.gc or BEST_LLDS_BASE.gc.)

> So I don't think trail should include all base grades.

In the interests of keeping the number of profiles small, I think it
should.

Julien.