[m-dev.] New release?

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Thu Oct 22 16:08:10 AEDT 2015

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 15:42:13 +1100 (AEDT), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
> We could add a new configure option to select a (mostly) pre-determined
> set of grades, for example:
>
>     --with-installation-profile = {default,debug,all,minimal}
>
> where the profile names correspond to the the first, second, fourth
> and fifth cases above.  (The above names are for illustration only,
> I realise they're not great.)
>
> The second point is handled by the existing '--enable-libgrades' option.
>
> To an extent this just shifts the problem around, "what grades do I
> install" becomes "what profile to I select"?

But the second problem will almost certainly be a much easier problem
for most people to solve, so I think the above is a very good idea.

A couple of notes on it. First: as you say a "(mostly) predetermined set":
the results of autoconfiguration will affect whether we include e.g.
none.gc.debug.stseg or asm_fast.gc.debug.stseg as the debugging grade.
Second: when we print the set of libgrades at the end of the output of configure,
and this list was NOT controlled by --enable-libgrades, we should include
a message about --with-installation-profile and values it can be given.

Zoltan.