[m-dev.] New release?

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Wed Oct 21 04:28:40 AEDT 2015

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:52:21 +1100, Paul Bone <paul at bone.id.au> wrote:
> Last time Julien and I spoke about this, quite a while ago, I recall that we
> wanted to upgrade Boehm GC first.  Now that that is done is there any other
> planned changes that we'd like to wait for?
> I've noticed that Zoltan has been doing a lot of refactoring.  Is it best to
> wait until this settles down and has been tested in ROTDs for a little
> while?  Or is that what the release candidates/betas are for?

At the moment, the statuses of insts and modes are recorded twice;
once with the old status system, and once with a new. All operations
on those statuses are done on both, the results compared, and an abort
generated if they disagree. Since this has been going for a month now,
I think it is safe to say that there aren't any problems with the new system,
and we can switch over to it without the crutch of checking against the old
system. I think we should do so before the release.

However, I am in the middle of changing over to a similar system for
the statuses of types, and any diff that implemented the previous paragraph
would cause conflicts for me. I would prefer to wait a week or two before
starting the release process, for two things: (a) me to finish the diff for type
statuses, and (b) time to wait for any problems with that diff to turn up.

There is also another bug we need to fix before the release, one I am working
on now. It seems that under some circumstances, the building of either the
.opt or the .trans_opt file can put invalid data into the .d file of the relevant
module, which requires an "mmake depend" before you can create the .c file
of that module. This bug was probably added with my changes to intermod.m,
but it showed itself only when working on the library directory, since that is
the only part of the Mercury system we turn on intermodule optimization for.


More information about the developers mailing list