[m-dev.] mmc --make still broken?

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Mon Oct 19 12:58:02 AEDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 09:52:12PM +1100, Paul Bone wrote:

> Are there still problems with mmc --make?
>
> paul at oxygen> mmc --make hello --grade asm_fast.gc
> ** Error: error reading file `pretty_printer.m' to generate dependencies.
> ** Module `pretty_printer' is imported or included by module `list'.
> mercury_compile: cannot find source for module `pretty_printer' in
> directories .

I tracked down this error.

It's a bootstrap error.  I built this compiler with a slightly older one
that wrote IL foreign language information into .module_dep files.  But
after the new compiler was installed it couldn't read the .module_dep files
that had been installed for its standard library modules, as support for IL
has been removed.  After failing to read .module_dep it looked for a .m file
in the current directory to attempt to rebuild the dependencies.  The
solution is that I should bootstrap with a slightly newer ROTD.

We should be aware of this in case it affects anyone else.

--
Paul Bone