[m-dev.] prepare.sh tests for the wrong thing

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Sat Oct 3 20:51:17 AEST 2015

On Sat, Oct 03, 2015 at 03:55:58PM +1000, Zoltan Somogyi wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 14:51:18 +1000, Paul Bone <paul at bone.id.au> wrote:
> > These are almost certainly all intermediate files, and a quick glance at
> > your file supports that.  git didn't delete or move them because they're
> > unversioned.
>
> Yes, I know.
>
> > It's probably easiest to remove the boehm_gc directory
> > completely and then run ./prepare.
>
> And I did that, before I sent my previous email.
>
> The point of my mail was to request that you should change prepare.sh
> to test for the presence/absence of some file that ISN'T left over like this.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I propose that prepare.sh test for boehm_gc/.git for this purpose.
Optionally it could be more helpful and do something like:

If not boehm_gc/.git exists then
    if boehm_gc/* exists then
        Tell user that they need to manually remove boehm_gc/* and re-run
        ./prepare.sh
        exit 1
    else
        setup git submodules.
    end if
end if
setup autotools.

However that may be unnecessary because once everyone transitions this
shouldn't be a problem again.

--
Paul Bone