[m-dev.] status of --deep-profile-tail-recursion

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Tue Mar 31 16:39:31 AEDT 2015

Hi,

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015, Zoltan Somogyi wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:05:50 +1100 (AEDT), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
>> Was the brokenness mentioned in that comment fixed by the following change of
>> Zoltan's,
>> <http://www.mercurylang.org/list-archives/reviews/2011-July/015284.html>?
>
> Unfortunately, I do not remember.
>
>> What is the status of --deep-profile-tail-recursion and --coverage-profiling?
>
> The two were never designed to work together, so ...

The current situation where --deep-profile-tail-recursion is enabled by
default and --deep-profile-tail-recursion is not enabled by default is
not ideal, and also contrary to what the user's guide currently says,
namely:

     With deep profiling, there are other modifications as well, the most
     important impact of which is the loss of tail-recursion for groups of
     mutually tail-recursive predicates (self-tail-recursive predicates stay
     tail-recursive).

Assuming that --deep-profile-tail-recursion *is* working (I will look
into this as I happen to be profiling stuff at the moment anyway), are
there any objections to switching the default values of these two
options?

Cheers,
Julien.