[m-dev.] Grade confusion

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Sat Nov 15 17:03:49 AEDT 2014

Hi,

I saw this question on stackoverflow.com

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26916819/how-do-i-compile-for-debugging-in-mercury-programming-language/26943053#26943053

I'm pretty sure that adding a grade flag merely adds that grade component
onto the default or specified grade.  So that if my default grade is hlc.gc
and I need to use asm_fast.gc.debug for debugging specifying --debug won't
do what I need.  In this case someone who reads the debugging part of the
user guide which instructs them to use --debug may be confused.

A number of new users have commented on how Mercury's large number of grades
make things confusing, however that problem is going to take a long time to
solve.  In the interim, I propose changing the user guide.  Any thoughts?

--
Paul Bone