[m-dev.] Merge commits

Matt Giuca matt.giuca at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 18:19:38 AEDT 2013

I've been playing with some more samples, and it turns out I said something
wrong:

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Matt Giuca <matt.giuca at gmail.com> wrote:

> Then I'll git push the result up to the server. Now the server's history
> will include this little detour, but at least the *main line* of
> development (which you can see with git log --first-parent) will just be F,
> E, D, C, B, A -- all of which are good builds.

Actually, the main line (git log --first-parent) will be F, C2, C1, C, B,
A. D and E will be relegated to secondary-line (branch) commits. That's not
ideal, because you just took main commits and made them look like children
in a branch. Maybe this is the confusing history Peter was talking about.

You can certainly do some advanced git-fu to get around this, but I can't
think of an easy rule to follow off the top of my head. In that case, the
refactored version may indeed be simpler. I'll have to think some more
about it.