[m-dev.] proposed unicode support for Mercury

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Feb 18 15:14:37 AEDT 2011

Hi,

The following is in regard to Peter Wang's proposed changes for UTF-8 /
UTF-16 string support in Mercury -- there are links to Peter's proposed
changes below, so I won't attempt to describe them here.

At this point, I think we should reach a consensus that this is the
right thing to do for Mercury and that Peter's proposed change is the
right way of doing it.  (For me, the answer is yes to both questions.)

(I know there are still quite a few technical details outstanding; my
questions here are to do with the overall direction of the proposal,
rather than those details.)

Julien.

The original proposal and draft change are here:

A more recent version of the change is here: