[m-dev.] my first complete error-free install of Cygwin 1.7.-1 Mercury 10.04.2 compiler with config accepted java,javac,jar and erl and erlc

Robert Shiplett grshiplett at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 09:53:03 AEDT 2010

[...]
:- happy ---> done(text("Yippee!")).

The message at the end of the install process is nice .. but I took a
random Prolog gz from google and got the recent linux CxProlog - which
proved not to have a configure script, but rather  make  switches: the
nice bit was that they give examples in each section of their make
help file. And the pl built as requested first pass on Ubuntu ( an
experience I have never had with Gnu Prolog or Gnu Smalltalk, btw )

Now I am trying Mercury 10.04.2 compiler with
  ./configure --disable-prof-grades --disable-trail-grades
--disable-par-grades  --enable-java-grade  --enable-erlang-grade

and will have to look through the  Makefile  to see if what I get is
my intended minimal with both Java and Erlang

This is somewhat short of what I would like to think could be a
declarative-style of spec for a build process (and the `?make' will
not start by saying what the process will attempt to make on the basis
of the build config result.)

Q: Did I miss where there was an example of how to obtain a minimal
build with given backends?

I ask this because someone assessing feasibility/suitability may not
start with debugging and profiling etc. ( it was mention of Erlang
with Mercury at LtU or some such that brought me to the Mercury
pages.)

I recall very clearly the KISS when a US telco was looking at logic
programming for virtual circuit provisioning versus "we will choose
between Java and C#"  ( mgmt "chose" C#/.NET but developers kept
moving the Smalltalk code to Java ...)

Q: should I have used
  ./configure --disable-most-grades --enable-java-grade  --enable-erlang-grade
?
Thanks

PS
that msg was:
-- Installation complete.

-- Don't forget to add /usr/local/mercury-10.04.2/bin to your PATH,
-- /usr/local/mercury-10.04.2/man to your MANPATH,
-- and /usr/local/mercury-10.04.2/info to your INFOPATH,
-- to copy deep_profiler/mdprof_cgi to /usr/lib/cgi-bin,
-- and to add the following lines to the `.emacs' file
-- in your home directory:
        (add-to-list 'load-path
                "/usr/local/mercury-10.04.2/lib/mercury/elisp")
        (autoload 'mdb "gud" "Invoke the Mercury debugger" t)
make[1]: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/i/cygwin/mercury-10.04.2/mercury-compiler-10.04.2'