[m-dev.] revised post from mercury-users on Win32 XP 10.04.2 install failures

Robert Shiplett grshiplett at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 03:49:35 AEDT 2010

This is the latest Cygwin from vt.edu on XP SP3 but the Mercury make
and the install fail at various points

All involve the   m  parameter being passed to the  cp  command  first
in makefile and then to install-sh scripts

Most fail on

 cp -m 644

I can get rid of most by editing the makefile.in to remove the -m 644
but the late install step involving

  \mercury-10.04.2\mercury-compiler-10.04.2\install_grade_dir.hlc.gc

fails in the install-sh on

 test -z

due to passing -m to cp

I have spent some time on trying to devise install-sh without concern
for mode, but the game appears not worth the candle.

The installed lib/mercury seems intact but I have not tried to install
the tests tar.gz

All of the problems are at ./boehm_gc and below as regards atomic_ops

Oh -   -m is not an option for cp on Cygwin ttbmk.

I went back to the site and tried a fresh download ... assuming this
must be my error somewhere .. but to no avail.

The tar.gz is the 	24,032 KB	10/5/2010 6:27:00 AM

in the makefile.in the line is

  install_sh_DATA = $(install_sh) -c -m 644

The early failures disappear with an edit to

  install_sh_DATA = $(install_sh) -c

in this and the other makefile.in

but  makefile install
 finally fails in installing atomic_ops from
  /install_grade_dir.hlc.gc

late in the install.

Is there a version of  `cp which takes that  -m  switch ?

see: various   install-sh files with

   cpprog=${CPPROG-cp}

and then

    -m MODE       $chmodprog installed files to MODE.

and then

      -m) mode=$2
	case $mode in
	  *' '* | *'	'* | *'
'*	  | *'*'* | *'?'* | *'['*)
	    echo "$0: invalid mode: $mode" >&2
	    exit 1;;
	esac
	shift;;

which would indicate that this is a script error and not a
makefile/configure error, n'est-ce pas ?

Did Win32 users at one time build atomic_ops using nmake as a separate
build step ?

Robert Shiplett
developer
Canada