[m-dev.] Catching out of memory errors

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Fri Oct 1 14:54:59 AEST 2010

Hi Paul,

> That depends on how the error is being reported.  I not comfortable speculating
> about this without more information, Can you show me an example?  Is this
> happening only in deep profiling grades?

No, regular asm_fast.gc grade, when you try to allocate too much the
boehm gc dumps this and aborts:

"GC out of memory.  Returned NIL!"

It's not very helpful if you want to control what you write to the
terminal and indicate failure in a more graceful manner. Ideally
allocation failure would be reported via a Mercury exception that could
be caught at the top level and reported nicely.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Print XML with Prince!