[m-dev.] Re: conditional compilation

Peter Wang novalazy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 12:27:34 AEDT 2010

On 2010-01-07, Julien Fischer <juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> How about this: add a pragma that that marks certain procedures as being
> conditional on something, e.g.
>
>     :- pragma conditional_proc(foo/2, [<conditions>]).
>     :- pred foo(io::di, io::uo) is det.

It wouldn't allow alternative clauses based on the condition.

Here's a trick to reduce the number of stub foreign_procs you have to
write, for the situation I described: use a wrapper type around the real
du type, and only override the wrapper type with the foreign type.

    :- type foo ---> foo(bar).
    :- type bar ---> bar(int, int).
    :- pragma foreign_type("Java", foo, "JavaFoo").

Then Mercury clauses which deconstruct bar variables can still be
typechecked in the Java grade.  It would be nicer if you could override
an equivalence type with a foreign type, but you can't.

Peter