[m-dev.] release version numbers

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Feb 3 12:01:40 AEDT 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 11:38:54AM +1100, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2010-02-03, Ian MacLarty <maclarty at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Julien and I were discussing removing the "0." from the release
> > versions, so the next release would be 14 instead of 0.14.  From MC's
> > point of view it'd help when trying to sell software written in
> > Mercury, as the 0. versions make it seem like Mercury is "not quite
> > ready", which in reality is not the case.
> >
> > How does the rest of the team feel about this proposal?
>
> How about 1.14.0, 1.15.0, ...?  This would continue the current release
> numbering except that the first digit indicates that the language and
> implementation is mature.  If there is a big language change in the
> future then we can go to 2.y.z.

I think that this is fine if we where to plan major contributions to be
completed for particular versions, which we don't seem to do.  I think this is
because Mercury is mainly a research project rather than a 'product'.  I'd like
it to be both, and more generally I'd like to see research work more closely
with industry and vice-versa but this is a long term goal.