[m-dev.] Type families

Ralph Becket rafe at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Mar 27 14:45:49 AEDT 2009

I've just been to the FPU talk on Type Families, a recent addition to
GHC.  Type families, if I understand them, are a replacement for
multi-parameter type classes on the basis that most MPTCs have a single
type from which the others are derived via functional dependencies.
Type families are attractive because they take a single parameter
(making many of our type class instance restrictions moot) and make the
dependent types part of the type class body (rather than parameters).

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/Type_families

We should consider this for Mercury.

-- Ralph