[m-dev.] Re: [G12-local] NIS server is broken.

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Mar 23 17:50:04 AEDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 06:51:17PM +1100, Paul Bone wrote:

> Hi Guys.
>
> The good news is that we were planning to replace NIS with LDAP for both
> the Mercury and G12 groups.  This will now be done sooner.  People will
> need to see me in person (or perhaps over the phone) to have their
> account passwords set.  (We will change the hashing scheme used during
> the switch to LDAP).

I've now setup LDAP for the mercury group.  The following hosts are now
working:

uranus
jupiter
saturn

swordfish is dead.
taura hsn't been configured yet
and eris runs OS X.

Because the password database has been replaced people will need to come
and see me to have their password reset.  I keep normalish office hours
so this shouldn't be a problem.

If you are part of the G12 group and use either the Mercury CVS
repository, or any of the hosts listed above (except eris) this includes
you.

Anybody working remotly and contributing to Mercury such as Quan can
e-mail me and we can arrange for a password to be transmitted in a
secuire or out-of-band medium such as over the phone.

Thanks.